Goals of the exercise: To show the participants that there are different ways of expressing their feelings and opinions
Age of the participants: 13 years +
Number of participant: any
Duration of the exercise: 40 minutes
Materials: magazine/newspapers, flip chart, scissors, glue, markers
Step by step
- Divide the participants in smaller groups.
- Give them a set of magazines, daily newspapers and ask them to make a collage of violence vs non – violence from the pictures or words they see in the magazines.
- When all groups finish the task, ask them to present their collage and its meaning.
- After all collages are presented, open a discussion about how does media present violence/bullying.
- Is the violence/bullying present in the media very often? What types of violence do they present?
- Do they give information on how to solve it/target it?
- How should media address the problem and help children or young people in this matter?
Authorship/adaptation or source: unknown source, adapted by Association PEL