Goals of the exercise: To see the prejudices and the exclusion, how they affect us and how we can solve them.
Age of the participants: 14 – 17 years old
Number of participants: 30
Duration: 40 minutes
Step by step
- Split the participants in two equal smaller groups.
- One group is going outside the room and the other group is staying inside.
- The trainer that is staying with the group inside the room is telling them jokes, stories, etc.
- The group that is outside is just waiting to be called to enter.
- The group inside is asked not to tell to the other group anything about what was happening in the room.
- When the group that was outside, comes in, they start conversation about something that is not related to anything.
- Then after a while the group that was outside is asked how they feel about that they were not involved in the conversation with the group from inside.
- Open a discussion with the questions: What were you doing outside of the room? Did you feel punished for staying outside? Did you felt insulted?
- What do you think is the reason you were excluded? How do you feel about the group inside?
- Guide the discussion towards real life and how does it feel to be left out?
- Have we encountered such situation and have we or anybody else tried to change the situation with a positive outcome? What should we do?
Authorship/adaptation or source: unknown source, adapted by Association PEL