Goals of the exercise: To help participants understand the harmful effects of bullying.
Age of the participants: 10+
Number of participants: any
Duration of the exercise: 15 minutes
Materials: Felt pens, pieces of paper
Step by step
- Have each participant draw a quick picture of themselves on a piece of paper.
- Ask participants to swap their picture with another participant.
- Have participants crumple up the picture they have been given.
- Pretend that you have made a mistake and ask participants to straighten each piece of paper and get rid of the creases.
- Their piece of paper will still have creases in it. This represents what bullying does to someone.
- What do you think about this game?
- What is the meaning behind it? How can we connect it with bullying?
- Talk about how bullying can affect people – you can’t undo bullying, and saying sorry won’t remove the impact of the bullying behavior
Authorship/adaptation or source: BullyingFree NZ Week 2018 Activity Pack