Goals of the exercise: to raise awareness of gender inequality and its impact on people’s lives.
Age of the participants: from 10 years
Number of participants: 10 to 30 participants
Duration of the exercise: 60 minutes
Materials: a cardboard phone in giant size, A4 sheet with phrases (see below), sticky notes with the symbol: v (right) and sticky notes with the symbol: x (wrong).
Step by step
- Stick the cardboard phone to a wall and choose a participant to read aloud the phrase that appears on the phone’s display. If he/she thinks the phrase is correct he/she puts the symbol V, if he/she considers it’s wrong, he/she puts the symbol X. Then the participant explains his/her answer to the others.
- Ask the other participants to give their opinion.
- Repeat the procedure until everyone has participated.
The phone should be a person’s size.
The whatsapp phrases can be written on a comic book balloon shape.
- Feminism is the opposite of chauvinism.
- Where are you? I need you to always tell me where you are.
- Do not arrange anything with your friends; you must be alone with me.
- I do not like what you wear, you’re too provocative.
- You must be yourself, do not change for anyone.
- Gender violence and domestic violence are the same.
- You decide, no one should decide for you.
- I have to be a jealous person because it shows my love for the other person.
- The abuser always has a mental illness.
- The only person guilty of mistreatment is the person who mistreats.
- Men and women are the same, they differ only in sex.
- How do you feel when somebody is telling you what to do?
- Do you think you should let somebody else make decisions about your life?
- Is gender violence present in your society?
- What can we do to prevent it?
Authorship/adaptation or source: Noélia Pereira Rodríguez